Tuesday, April 8, 2008

postheadericon Scrapbooking brads in postcards

I understand you all are enjoying the postcard challenge. That is great! This is postcard for this exchange. I used a variety of techniques, but Mary and I were talking today about how much we're are enjoying using the scrap booking brads in our postcards. In this one the dragonflies and smaller flowers are brads. they are really a cute and quick way to make a postcard. In order to use the brads, you make a hole thru the postcard top. This tool came with my sewing machine. It makes punching those holes really quick and easy. For those of you with Brother machines, look at you tools and see if you got one with your machine. If you didn't and would like one, I'll order one for you thru the brother dealer. Mary suggested I do this little tutorial to show how quick, easy and cute these are to do. I completed this postcard start to finish in 15 minutes this evening.

First, cut your peltex to size....4"x 6".



Then cut your top fabric and fuse it to the peltex.



The brads come in many shapes and styles and can be found in the scrap booking section of JoAnn's and Michaels. This is a large flower...they also have a small one.






These are dragonflies, they also have butterflies.





These are letters. They have many different styles of letters. I have chosen a spring theme.




The first brads I'm going to attach are the letters. I draw a line with a water soluble marker so I can keep them relatively straight. The only thing you have to remember is to keep them well away from the edge, so that your sewing machine foot doesn't hit them when you are finishing the edge of your postcard.









I then drew vertical lines to help with spacing of the letters, and then made the first hole with my punch.











Then just put the letter thru the hole and spread the arms on the back.








continue punching holes to put the rest of your brads where you want them.























On the back, make sure when you spread the back of the brads, you keep them away from the edges of your postcard so you don't sew over them when you are finishing the edge.































Now my card top is finished and ready to remove my lines with a spritz of water.














Now fuse the fabric for your back on. I usually use two layers of fabric to hide the bumps of the brad backs.















Now you can zig zag your edges to finish them.





















And here's your finished card. Cute, quick and easy!













Address the back, and your done!








If you have any questions, just holler!
Deb